Monday, December 17, 2012

Slow as gold cools.

It's another slow evening. I work at at Persian restaurant. I'm a hostess. I strain my smiling muscles, I make my voice like that of snow white, I wrap silverware, and make tea. Oh and I also seat our customers. If there are no customers, there is just nothing for me to do. I didn't realize how pointless my job is. I don't even have to wear nice clothes. I come in with ripped jeans and hickeys everyday.  

My father never spoke one word of Farsi to me. I am a hybrid. I am a central Texan. I am an Austinite. A very sheltered Austinite, infact. The first time I ever tested the waters at Barton Springs was back in 2008. Not too long ago. I don't even like going there. The water is always so cold. And the last time I went to Barton Springs was with completely illusional friends. I hate those people.
Well anyway, hearing my boss's choice of 50's diner music or listening to the repetitive, whining, pathetic lyrics of Persian artists in this restaurant mixed with mundane tasks always makes me want to break a lot of glass. Don't get me wrong. I love my job. I just wish it was a fast pace job all the time. I like speaking to all the different people and hearing all the different voices and demeanors  But when there is absolutely no one here I can't help but sit around and sigh. I won't do the silverware tonight. I work tomorrow morning anyway.

No comments: