Sunday, December 16, 2012

Uncalled for.

I remember one night in Iran, it was about 3 in the morning. I would always spend nights up by myself after I would say goodnight to my grandmother sleeping in the next room. She would take out her hearing aid at night so I don't think she heard me talking on the phone as much as I did those evenings. I would call my friends and give them unwanted updates on how I was doing. I knew an Iranian boy in my school that would always push me away from being friends. We were the only two Iranians in the whole school and I had always wondered why he was so cold to me. Sometimes I would be too oblivious to take the hint. I had hoped to be friends with him in school, and maybe even speak Farsi with him during lunch hour. On that night by myself I decided to call him. I saw that some how I had his cell phone number in my American phone. So I dialed and I reached him.
"I'm calling from Iran right now. I was just thinking about you. I wish you could see everything I'm seeing.How are you?"
"Oh, ok. Well I'm doing dishes."
"Doing dishes? Why? I thought you would be relaxing and stuff,"
"I really should get back to doing the rest of my chores. I'll talk to you later."
"Really? Well when can I call you? I'm free almost all the time. It is vacation you know."
"--Bye Maryam."
I didn't hear the sound of water running or the air in his back ground anymore. "Bye..."
Some people really have issues. I'm probably not one to talk. But that right there, that was really rude. It's kind of hilarious how some people are absolutely repelled by kindness.

No comments: